Pages

Saturday 21 May 2005

Posting code: useful HTML converter






I finally found a handy automatic converter to help you post code on Webpages, especially blog posts, and still have it display as raw code rather than being interpreted as HTML, at Centricle.

You just copy/paste your code into the first box and hit "Encode" and it does a search and replace for you automatically of the tricky characters you have to encode in order for code to show up properly. Just copy the code from the box for pasting into your post or webpage. It also converts the other way round - i.e. it decodes as well as encodes.

I've edited my previous post, where I'd noted what I'd realised needs to be done to get stuff to display as pure HTML code in a post or Webpage (rather than being treated as tags), to include the link to that conversion tool. I prefer to keep everything together in the same place for ease of reference.

(It took me ages to track down a good working automatic converter. Probably because I was searching using insufficiently hardcore techie terms. So, as a public service, here are some softcore techie terms people like me might use to try to find a tool like this, in the hope that they'll get picked up by Google and make it easier for others to locate the converter in future... HTML converter, HTML encoder, HTML encoding, encode HTML, convert HTML, display code, post code, display HTML, post HTML...).


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great link. I too had been looking for something like this.

ChickyBabe said...

Hmmm...Hardcore/softcore? Either way, great tool :). Thanks!

Improbulus said...

Thanks for your comments, glad the link's useful. I find that tool invaluable.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for (though I was also wondering if there was a firefox plugin for this).

Improbulus said...

Glad to help, anon. I'm sure someone can write a Firefox extension for this but I haven't come across one yet - let me know if you find one!