Last night I went to the first London Girl Geek Dinner at the Texas Embassy (there have apparently been two other geek dinners, but they weren't mainly aimed at girl geeks). Token men were allowed last night, but only if accompanied by a responsible female...
About 40 or 50 people turned up - not just those working in IT but also mere bloggers like me, though I didn't get to talk to any "non-IT industry" bloggers. I met some very interesting and fun people (and it's not just my soft spot for geeks talking!):
- Nina, the non-Swedish scuba diving SQL consultant
- "Mystery Bloke with(out) Alison" John, the MBA Marketing Man
- Teresa, cordon bleu chef turned IT manager and future grey hatter
- Sherry and crew (sorry we didn't get the chance to chat more before you left)
- Surprisingly silent about her SAP skills Emma, the table dancing strategist
- Maria, Emma's pal
- Last but certainly not least, the lovely Sarah, hostess with the mostest and organiser extraordinaire of the whole event (who even produced sticky name tags with URLs for everyone - well some of us, anyway - to plaster prominently on themselves).
The £20 included seemingly unlimited wine at the sit down buffet dinner, the food was good (the starters excellent), the staff were friendly (especially the nice barman, mwah!), and the venue was comfortable and spacious (dedicated floor for the event). Couldn't ask for anything more, really.
If you're in London do look out for next month's geek dinner, which I gather will probably be a mixed one, and will feature another speaker, identity TBA. Thanks again to Sarah and Hugh for everything.
Technorati Tags: geeks, girl geeks, London geek dinner, Improbulus, A Consuming Experience, Consuming Experience